Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous, colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas. Although it has no detectable odor, CO is often mixed with other gases that do have an odor. So, you can inhale carbon monoxide right along with gases that you can smell and not even know that CO is present. CO is a common industrial hazard resulting from the incomplete burning of natural gas and any other material containing carbon such as gasoline, kerosene, oil, propane, coal, or wood.
Can you smell gas or do you think there’s a gas leak? The first thing to do is to make sure that you stay safe, so please:
- Don’t smoke.
- Don’t light matches or cigarette lighters.
- Don’t turn light switches or anything electrical on or off.
- Put out any naked flames such as candles.
- Open all the doors and windows.
- Turn off your gas supply at the meter (and leave it switched off until you’re sure it’s safe to turn it back on again).
- Leave your home or business immediately and call Xcel 1-800-895-2999 or 911.